Hello, I’m Elina. Welcome to follow my journey with my husband Heikki across North America. In this blog, you can get a behind-the-scenes look what life is like on the road

Thursday 11.11.21

Heikki started driving around six o’clock this morning. I continued to sleep for another two hours.  It was the same to sleep when it was dark outside and I couldn’t have enjoyed the scenery though.  When I woke up, the scenery was rocky and rugged, but in its own way beautiful.  The sun also rose in front of us.  Sometimes it was behind the hills, sometimes out behind the hills blinding our eyes.  The visor was useful again.

So we were in Montana and today’s destination was Fargo, North Dakota.  Distance about 600 miles / over 950 km.  The traffic was quiet.  As I once mentioned, there was always at least one semi truck in sight. The Yellowstone River ran beside us for a while.  When we crossed it a second time, it continued its journey north and we turned east.

Our journey continued in a really windy weather.  The wind was not really seen when there were few trees to look at.  We felt it inside the truck when the wind blew in through the doors and fuel consumption was poor.
We arrived in North Dakota.  The flat landscapes continued.  Or at least I thought so. Soon the cenery was more hilly.  It started to snow.
Missouri River in Mandan, North Dakota.  I noticed that Lewis and Clark’s riverboat ad, or harbor, had come into the picture.
Tumbleweeds flew across the road at a tremendous pace driven by a strong wind. A few lakes here and there. The bales are probably in the field all winter.
Fargo, North Dakota.  We didn’t stay there overnight.  Heikki decided to drive some more time so we wouldn’t get into a Chicago traffic jam on Saturday morning.  You need to think a few days in advance to keep traffic jams to a minimum.  Especially if you have to drive through / next to big cities.  There are so many things to consider in this job to make the ride run smoothly.  Unexpected can happen, but there is nothing you can do about them.
The Minnesota welcome sign was really small. I barely noticed it. Yes, and earlier today, we moved to a new time zone again.  We are now an hour behind our home time.
We drove for another hour and stayed the night.  It rained and no evening walk.  Heikki said he’s going to start really early tomorrow morning to avoid the Minneapolis rush hour.  And I promised to stay asleep!
If you like to follow my journey across the U.S please check my earlier blogs here.